Job ID: 290004327
Last Updated: 5/3/2021
Surgical Technologist / Surgical Technician
Physician Recruitment Specialist
Full Job Description
We Are Hiring:
Surgical Technologist / Surgical Technician
$5,000 Sign On Bonus
Available Through June 30, 2021*
$5,000 For This Full Time Position
2 years of experience required to be eligible for this bonus
Additional Terms & Eligibilty Requirements Apply
SCHEDULE: FT Evenings 3:00p-11:00p w/ Rotating Sat./Holidays; On Call Rotation includes Weekends, Weeknights, Holidays; 30 Min. Response Time For On Call
The Surgery Department at Ascension Genesys Hospital has 23 Operating Rooms and a team of more than 100 dedicated medical professionals handling a full range of general and specialty area surgeries including robotic procedures, open heart, minimally invasive procedures, pediatric, vascular, ortho, and much more. Ascension Genesys Hospital offers beautiful facilities with the latest in advanced surgical technology. Our robotics program covers multiple services including General, GYN, Oncology, Thoracic, and Urology.
We offer rewarding career paths for healthcare professionals across all disciplines. Ascension offers a collaborative environment with competitive wages and opportunities for advancement.
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, and a retirement plan with match
- Socially just benefits and wages
- Competitive compensation
- Paid time off
- Professional development
- Wellbeing programs and holistic growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Adoption assistance
What You Will Do:
Provide technical services and assists professional nursing staff and physicians in providing patient care as assigned and directed in all types of operations. Works in accordance with established standards of performance and the philosophy and objectives of the nursing department.
Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide care to age group(s) served. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Comply with established standards and maintains department, unit, hospital policies and procedures including such things as: Quality assurance, safety, and infection control. Maintains a clean, orderly, safe environment for patients and staff. Cleans, dusts, and organizes cupboards, shelves, and equipment.
- Communicate and cooperate with others to achieve departmental objectives. Maintains patient rights and confidentiality of patient information.
- Attend required meetings, in-services, educational programs, continuing education, and self development programs to stay abreast of current trends and demonstrates the ability to understand and perform procedures.
- Scrub and set up operating rooms with all necessary instruments/supplies in accordance with department policy and surgeon preferences and routines. Initials and updates doctor specific preference cards. Observe aseptic technique. Prepares and assists with surgical procedures. Cleans, decontaminates, wraps, and sterilize equipment and instruments. Performs preps in nursing units as necessary (i.e. sterile preps, bone preps, shaving etc.). Assist in the transportation of patients. Assists scrub orcirculating nurse as directed.
- Drape patient, prepares operative site with germicides and holds retractors as requested.
- Suture subcutaneously, utilizes electric cautery, ties sutures utilizing one and two handed techniques. Performs simple clamping, retracting, and suctioning,.
- Explain and demonstrate techniques and methods used in the operating suite to new staff.
- Maintain inventory, preserves and labels operative specimens, smears, cultures, and transports to laboratory for analysis.
- Assist employees in performing housekeeping tasks to clean the rooms following surgery (i.e. emptying hamper bags, taking care of soiled linen, and waste materials, etc.).
- Keep supplies and equipment organizes and assures all unused equipment and supplies are put in theproper storage area.
- Work with peri-op team to provide total care and has operating knowledge of equipment and instruments needed for all surgical procedures.
- Demonstrate competency in all specialty areas and routinely rotates through all services.
- Assists OR R.Ns in coordinating supplies and/or operation of equipment off the field.
- Keeps supplies and equipment organized. Maintains, stores, and locates adequate supplies in OR, surgical suits and supply rooms. Sets up, runs, and monitors equipment to insure proper operation; notifies supervisor or designee of equipment needing repair.
- Must possess interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively when working with physicians, staff and patients.
- Regular walking and the ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and move patients and perform repetitive physical activity.
- Working Conditions: Setting is a surgical suite; May be exposed to patient illness, communicable diseases, blood hazards and hazardous chemicals.
- Orientation Requirements: Must attend new employee and department orientations.
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification; it is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision; the most recently dated job description on file in Human Resources will be considered the official job description.
What You Will Need:
- Licensure / Certification / Registration:
- Certified BLS Provider specializing in Basic Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 6 Months (180 days) of hire date or job transfer date required.
- Certified Surgical Assistant credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) preferred.
- Completion of a recognized scrub technician college program preferred or minimum of two (2) years experience as a Surgical Technician, or minimum of one (1) year experience working as a Certified Surgical Technician.
Why Join Our Team:
Ascension Michigan employs over 20,000 compassionate caregivers across 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities. Our care teams are dedicated to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of the communities we serve. We provide generous paid time off for work-life balance, a collaborative work environment, professional development opportunities and more to help our associates flourish personally and professionally. If you are looking for a rewarding career in healthcare, we invite you to apply today.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
Ascension Genesys is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the EEO is the Law poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
View Full Employer Profile