Job ID: 289101869
Last Updated: 8/12/2019
Physician, MD/DO -- Family Practice
Chincoteague Community Health Centers
Small Town Life: Eastern Shore Rural Health is a community health center (CHC) with five medical facilities and four dental locations. We are located on a rural peninsula between the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. Our area is close to cities such as Virginia Beach and Washington, D.C. but offers beautiful scenic views, hunting, fishing and outdoor opportunities only available in rural America. It is truly small town life at it's finest!
Big Time Reputation: Our organization has been used as a "best practice" model by the Bureau of Primary Health Care as they preform Operational Site Visits to other CHCs. Over 50% of the Shore's population chose ESRHS as their medical home. Clinicians, outreach workers, translators/interpreters, referral specialists and a Baby Care Coordinator work as a team to provide individualized, holistic care for each patient.
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
Must have a valid Virginia license.
Must be Board eligible or Board certified in a primary care specialty, i.e. family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, community medicine or emergency medicine.
If Board eligible, must meet certification requirements within three (3) years of completing residency training program or within three (3) years of employment with ESRHS if previously employed, or within three (3) years of adoption of the revision of this job description if hired before its inception.
Must adhere to guidelines of given primary care specialty for meeting recertification requirements.
Must meet annual primary care specialty continuing education medical education requirements (or those set forth by the AMA) and report these assurances to clinical director and clinical coordinator.
Must maintain current Licensure and DEA certification with reimbursement for these through ESRHS.
Must maintain updated copies of all licensures and certification in personnel file at ESRHS as well as CME file.
Skills Required: Planning, organizing and implementing clinical programs and activities, supervising and assisting in training of clinical professionals, ability to work well in a leadership role with a cooperative effort with diverse groups of health professionals and center staff; ability to work independently and to make appropriate clinical decisions which reflect professional strength, confidence and integrity. Must be able to lift, carry and handle equipment, supplies needed in routine and emergency care, and other worksite materials.
Duties and Responsibilities:
General: Under direction of the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Executive Officer, the physician is responsible for delivering community oriented primary care as promoted by the philosophy of the community health center and set forth by direction of the Community Board Members of Eastern Shore Rural Health System, Inc.
The Population Served:
The center will provide community-oriented primary care of the highest quality to residents, migrants and seasonal farmworkers, as well as, visitors of the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
1. Will provide primary care services of an acute, chronic and preventive nature to patients of all age groups as guided by organizational protocols and license to practice
2. Adheres to quality assessment guidelines, OSHA or other regulations as federally mandated or as set forth by principles of practice of ESRHS.
3. Maintains certifications and keeps all licenses current, and provides evidence of ongoing CME.
4. Maintains certification as Advanced Life Support Provider, Pediatric Advanced Life Support, or Neonatal Advanced Life Supports as required based on Center resuscitation status. (may be accomplished within six months of date of employment) Basic Life Support is required for all other providers
5. As part of the center team, consisting of other providers, nurses, health education specialists, case managers, interpreters, transportation and outreach workers and others, assists in implementation of the clinical services plan with measurable goals and objectives as outlined in the Health Care Plan of the Federal 330 Grant.
6. Accepts clinical responsibilities/duties assigned or requested by the Chief Medical Officer or Chief Executive Officer.
7. Assists in the responsibility of call and hospital duty (where applicable) for the practice.
8. Abides by policies, procedures and protocols as needed to achieve the centers goals and objectives.
9. Represents ESRHS in the community through involvement in community activities which support the mission and philosophy of ESRHS.
10. Maintains organized, complete electronic medical records with regard to content appropriateness and confidentiality.
11. Participates in center staff meetings, sharing responsibility for effectiveness of these meetings when requested with center manager and clinical director. Supports and assists the clinical staff as needed, makes recommendations for service improvement, patient flow and changes to center.
12. Shares in responsibility of teaching of students, residents, and other health professionals as the community health center becomes involved in the training of primary care providers.
13. Attends quarterly ESRHS provider meetings unless prevented by unusual need of center functions or hospital call duties. If unable to attend, designates an alternate to attend.
14. Must demonstrate good internal and external customer service skills.
15. Employee will abide by the Code of Conduct as documented in the Corporate Compliance Manual.
16. Employee must demonstrate an understanding of the intent, and follow standards, guidelines and protocols related to achieving and maintaining certifications by outside agencies.
17. Must possess the ability to follow supervisors instructions and maintain regular attendance.
18. Management may modify, add or remove essential job functions as necessary, or as changing organizational needs require.
19. Must demonstrate personal and professional commitment Eastern Shore Rural Health and its Mission Statement.
Mission Statement: Eastern Shore Rural Health System, Inc. is a Community Health Care Center committed to enhancing the quality of life for the people of the Eastern Shore. We seek to serve the needs of the rural community by providing accessible, comprehensive and affordable
medical, dental and health services in a caring, professional, and safe environment.
View Full Employer Profile